Corporate Client Immigration Inquiry

Find out more

Corporate Client Immigration Inquiry

Corporate Name:
How many eyes has a typical person?

Individual Client Immigration Inquiry

Find out more

Individual Client Immigration inquiry

Individual Client Immigration inquiry

Where You Are Currently Residing
In Country Where You Are Currently Residing, if Not a Citizen

* indicates a required field

Assistance Required

Please specify your immigration needs

Work Permit
I have an offer from a Canadian employer
Temporary Residence Permit/Denied Entry to Canada

I am interested in obtaining permanent residence in Canada as a:

Skilled Professional/Provincial Nominee
Spouse/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship
Work Visa
I have a job offer from a USA employer
Expanding Business to USA
K1/K3-Fiancee/Spousal Visa
Waiver/Denied entry to USA
Green Card

If you have a specific question or request or would like to provide us with further details regarding your immigration needs, please indicate here


Obtain a U.S. Work Visa for a Employee

Our Company would like to Transfer a Canadian Citizen Employee to the U.S. What is the best U.S. Work Visa category to Pursue?

Often times, employers need to transfer their workers to the U.S. in order to undergo training, to provide training, or to fill an existing need. For Canadians, this process has been streamlined provided that the necessary requirements are met. Specifically, in order to apply for an intra-company transferee (or L-1 visa), the following three criteria must be met:

  • The U.S. and Canadian company must form a qualifying corporate relationship (parent, subsidiary, affiliate, branch, etc.)
  • The Canadian employee must have been employed by the Canadian or other foreign company for at least one year in the past three years
  • The Canadian employee must have a position that is of an executive or senior managerial nature, or, s/he must have specialized knowledge of the company.
  • If these requirements are met, the company and employee can apply for a U.S. Work Visa pursuant to the L visa category.

How Do We Start?

Canadian citizens are allowed to make an L application directly at a U.S. port of entry. This is an enormous benefit for Canadian citizens and employers, as it can significantly speed up the processing of the application. However, while the application will be decided quickly at the port of entry, it must also be prepared perfectly, as the port of entry officer does not have the time or resources to review and assess a less than fully prepared application. In those instances, an officer will refuse to process the application, or issue a refusal of the application.

When getting started, the first thing the company should consider is the purpose for transferring the employee, and begin the process of gathering all of the relevant documentation. As mentioned above, the companies must show that they exist in a qualifying corporate relationship, and as a result of that, it is imperative that the documentation presented at the port of entry prove without doubt that a qualifying relationship exists. The documentation must also confirm that the transferring employee has been with the company for at least one year in the past three.

The U.S. Immigration Lawyers at PricewaterhouseCoopers Immigration Law LLP will provide you with a detailed document checklist that will aid you in gathering this documentation, and will assist in drafting all necessary letters or forms that must be presented to the U.S. authorities.

How Long Will the L-1Visa Last?

L-1 visas can be issued for an initial period of up to three years. Subsequent renewals are possible. Executives/Senior Managers are allowed entry for up to 7 years, and Specialized Knowledge workers are allowed a maximum entry of up to 5 years. When a company is opening a new office in the U.S., an initial L visa will only be granted for a one year period.

Contact Us

For further information with respect to U.S. and Canadian immigration or to find out if you or a company employee is eligible for temporary or permanent relocation to Canada or the U.S., we invite you to contact our experienced immigration lawyers and attorneys by contacting PricewaterhouseCoopers Immigration Law LLP at:

1-800-993-9971 or by clicking here: “Contact Us”.